Vintage

Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Rather Gray View

Good evening, everyone.
I know that I have been very irregular in my posting.  I decided to post tonight before the craziness of this work week begins.  I simply do not have the time during the week.  If I do, I'm usually catching up on my reading.


http://prepfection.tumblr.com/post/25399547156/findyourlife-the-books-of-our-lives

Which leads me to my first topic.
I have just finished re-reading, "The Scarlet Pimpernel" for only the second time.  Shameful, I know.  I forgot just how wonderfully romantic that book is.  The way that Marguerite and Sir Percy are so far apart in the beginning of the book reminds me so much of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's relationship for a good part of "Pride and Prejudice." (Which reminds me, I really need to re-read that book, too.)
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/lady+blakeney

Anyway, now I'm reading a biography of Voltaire and his relationship with Emilie du Chatelet.  It's an interesting book, although one can learn too much about historical figures.  One piece that I found intriguing was the fact that actresses in the 18th century were considered outcasts.  I realized then that if Sir Percy were a real person/aristocrat, then there would have been no way that he would have married Marguerite St. Just, an actress.  It would have been (gasp!) beneath him.  You can conjecture for yourself then that if Sir Percy was a real person that he would have married her for love and would have foregone all rules of class and aristocracy or would not have married her at all.  Personally (and I think I speak for all die-hard TSP fans) that he would have been the former, not the latter.
(I'm probably going to be slammed for this.;)
Moving on.
I bought two books at Barnes and Noble today: "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "North and South."  The first one is more or less stocking up for future reference, but the second one is definitely for enjoyment.  Ever since I watched the 2004 miniseries version of "North and South," I have been wanting very badly to read the book.  I mean, who doesn't want to read about John Thorton? ;)
http://media-cache-ec0.pinterest.com/upload/223772675205025602_XFPYApAJ.jpg

I found a beautiful gray a-line skirt at JC Penney's today as well.  It is almost identical to a skirt my mom bought for me at Cato two and a half years ago for my Confirmation.

www.jcpenny.com
 I have grown to love it as a must-have in my daily wardrobe.  Gray is a great color that works for every season. 
I have also decided to purchase this lovely gray pea coat from Victorian Trading Company.  I love the lower half of the sleeves.  So puffy and whimsical. :)  I suppose wearing color gray is something that Jane Eyre and I have in common. ;)

Last but not least, a song by The Piano Guys, my new favorite music group.  This one just sound like summer, doesn't it? :)

Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Simple Gifts

P.S.  I just realized how much gray there is in the post.  Unintended, I assure you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment