Vintage

Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Hobbes for my Dad.


 So for quite some time now, my dad has been asking me to make him a stuffed Hobbes.  Hobbes was one of the main characters in the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes that appeared from the mid 80's to the mid 90's or so.  To all unsuspecting humans, Hobbes looks like an ordinary stuffed tiger.  To Calvin though, Hobbes is alive and real like any other person.

Dad showed me an Instructables pattern gives step-by-step instructions on how to make your own Hobbes.  It is a great tutorial, very thorough and chock-full of pictures.  I printed out the pattern and began work.


The pattern didn't list any specific yardage for the fabric, so I guessed about half a yard each of orange, black, and white.  I used smooth broadcloth instead of fleece so that it would last longer and look better. 


The first thing I sewed was the tummy with my sewing machine.  I sewed as much as I could with the machine, because I had a lot of hand sewing to do.

I also put some beads in the end of the tail to weigh it down.  The tail actually became quite useful in the end, because it helps balance Hobbes so he can sit up.



Here he is all laid out before I sewed on the appendages.  

In fact, that picture kinda reminds me of this Calvin and Hobbes strip, one of my personal favorites:
Cracks me up every time!


And here is Hobbes in all his glory!

Happy Father's Day, Dad!  I love you so much!

Another strip for good measure.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment